Have you seen Roseanne Barr extolling the virtues of the macadamia nut and announcing her bid for the presidency? On the election side, she’s clearly delusional. But on the nuts… she’s onto something…
“If the world would start getting their protein from nuts… there would be no global warming and we’d have enough grain to feed every hungry person on earth.”
~Roseanne Barr on the Tonight Show
A few reasons why everyone should love nuts*:
- they’re a complete protein.
- they’re full of fiber.
- they’re a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids!! (this is huge for vegetarians)
- they lower bad (LDL) and raise good (HDL) cholesterol.
- they contain calcium.
- they protect against cancer, heart disease, and many other ailments.
- they’re a great source of vitamins, such as E (an antioxidant) and B-complex.
- yes, they’re high in fat, but it’s the good fat – unsaturated.
- they fill you up fast and keep you full. A perfect snack.
Also? They could save the world.**
**Seriously, a lot of research proves that a vegan diet contributes to a healthier planet. Check out this Guardian article, “UN urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet,” referencing a UN report. We know better. Will we do better?